Milestone to note:It has been almost three weeks since I took an experienced mother's advice and tried a new sleep method with Gabriel. The difference in our lives is unbelievable!! He is happy to go to sleep, sleeps longer, and sleeps through the night. All wonderful things! The difference is that we tried the "let him cry for 10 minutes" method. The first night was the toughest, he cried for about 45 minutes before finally falling asleep by his bedroom door. The second night we couldn't believe that it worked--he fell asleep by himself after the normal stories, a few songs, and a "I love you, good night."
We did try this method at least three times in the past (5 mo., 6 mo., 9 mo.). The last try, Gabriel cried for two and half hours and then threw up he was so upset, even with us comforting him every 10 minutes. I think it really helps that Gabriel can understand that we're just in the other room. We can talk about his day together and he remembers and understands our words. And, of course, he has his bunny and blanket (he was never attached to anything in the past), and a Cookie Monster blanket for over his window to make it darker but lit from the back so he can see Cookie.
In the past, I (or Paul on my nights off) would read a few stories, sing several songs (and then sing some more when he kept waking himself up), and then hang out on the floor near him until he feel asleep, usually around 10pm plus/minus half an hour. Now we start at 8pm and are out of his room by 8:30. I am still figuring out what to do with all my extra time in the evenings now! I feel like a new woman. Paul and I feel like a couple again (instead of two tired parents sharing a house)!
No comments:
Post a Comment