Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I Want to Be a Grown-up!

Gabriel just got quite upset at life. While snuggling and trying to calm him down and talk to him I found out he was tired of everyone telling him what to do. He said he wanted to be an adult right now! (I remember feeling like that.) So I told him he could have 30 minutes as the adult. What did he want to do? "Drive a van. I know how, I've been watching you, mom. Lock mom in her room (which is sometimes his punishment if he gets violent). Drive to Heather's house whenever I want." I asked him for something else he wanted to do. He thought about it and then he said, "Make lemonade without anyone else's help!" Wow! Wish granted! He picked the lemons. I supervised while he used a knife to cut the lemons in half (his favorite part). He squeezed the lemons with our citrus juicer. He poured juice and washed the juicer containers (his least favorite part of being an adult). He sampled and poured the sugar and stirred it and served us. He is a happy camper. With 10 minutes left, he is choosing to watch TV (the forbidden Batman cartoon) and drink lemonade! So grateful for an easy solution this time!

1 comment:

MonaLisa said...

wow, that's one issue I never faced with my kids (unless you count the day Tony turned 16, the first thing he said when he got up that day was, "I 16 now, I drive car." Whoa, um, I don't think so. lol We explained to him he needed to be able to read the maps and road signs before he could drive.

As for your solution, good thinking and it sounds like it worked out really well. You are such a creative and good mother. I am amazed at the things you deal with and handle.

Love you!