Thursday, November 15, 2012

Toothless


Gabriel lost his first two teeth exactly a week ago! The two adult teeth have been coming in for a while, then the two front ones got wiggly. I wanted him to lose them at home so we could save them for the Tooth Fairy, so I made him work on them every day. Last Thursday, I see him biting and sucking on his sweater sleeves when I pick him up from school ... and there's a tooth missing! It must have fallen in his classroom somewhere. Oh well. We wrote a note to the Tooth Fairy explaining that. Later that same afternoon, Gabriel and I were on our way to the doctor's office (he is fine). I had a small bag of M&Ms as a reward. As he was eating the candy, he thinks he swallowed the other tooth! So he lost his first two teeth and I have nothing to show for it. (As a side note, Gabriel got a tiny TinkerBell snowglobe from the Tooth Fairy. Sadly, Ephraim dropped it the next day. No more snowglobes for us!)

Yesterday, as I was pulling dinner out of the oven, the power went out of the whole city block. The kids froze while I scrambled for the flashlight and candles (thank goodness those got unpacked!). We had a blast eating by candlelight, telling stories surrounded by candles, and brushing our teeth with the brightest candle on the bathtub. The highlight for me was when I grabbed our shoes and jackets and ran out to the backyard to look at stars. No streetlights or porchlights made for a spectacular view! ... Of course, that part lasted about two seconds for the kids as they decided to explore the backyard in the dark instead. But we had a great time. The power went back on just in time to hop into bed.

A happy memory: Ephraim fell asleep early in my arms on the couch tonight (not unusual). I put him to bed and Gabriel and I watched the end of "Mirror Mirror" (a Snow White story). During the credits, she sings a song to dance to so we got up and danced. It wasn't enough for Gabriel so I found an old mix CD and put it on. We danced and laughed for a good 15 minutes! So much fun. Such a sweet boy!

No comments: