Monday, December 17, 2012

Breakfast Challenge

So breakfast has been a challenge for Ephraim for a couple of months now. I wanted to record this morning's experience while I still remember it. It is typical of our start for the day. It is also typical of a lot of meltdowns he has around perfectionism.

We usually have Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast. I asked Ephraim if he wanted cereal. I poured myself a bowl of plain Cheerios with sliced bananas while I wanted for an answer. Yes, he wanted Cheerios. I confirmed he wanted it with milk (knowing from past experience to ask). Yes, milk. OK. We sit at the table together and I start to eat. No, it's not enough Cheerios, he wants more. I pour a few more. He sees my bananas and wants some too. No, not from my bowl, his own bananas. OK, fresh sliced bananas go into his bowl. He whimpers that it's not enough, he wants more. I say, it's plenty. He melts down into sobs. I let him cry a minute and then suggest we count how many slices there are. 13, wow, that's a lot! He is better. He takes his first scoop trying to get just a banana. Ack, there is a Cheerio stuck to the banana. Meltdown begins again! I help him get just a banana. He is frustrated he can't do it himself and the Cheerios keep getting in the way. "They taste good together." "No, they don't." Several more meltdown frustrations later, he finally eats the last banana. He's done. Aren't you going to eat your Cheerios too? Nope, he's done. *sigh*

No comments: